8 April 2013

Spring cleaning the mind...


After a week in bed with flu, watching snow swirling around outside over the Easter weekend, and then a week of plodding around the house with no energy, I picked up the knitting needles and some shocking pink wool in an attempt to relieve the boredom of not being able to do much more than load the washing machine.       But my hearts not in it. It seems flu leaves you down and low in more ways than one. 
Even with the lovely Spring flowers my mother sent.
 
Perhaps it's Spring cleaning time for the mind ...





Having a look at some of the things I've knitted so far this year isn't exactly inspiring - 13 berets and 7 cushions. And I'm wondering just how much of that was knitted to use up the stock of wool hanging around the house. Although there have been quite a few custom orders for people since January, somethings missing...



And I think I know what it is...
How can you expect to get anything out if you don't put anything in?
Not eating when ill is the reason I have no energy now, and not going to see anything new over the last couple of years means I'm just on auto pilot knitting and making the same things. I honestly can't remember the last exhibition / show / fair / gallery we went to. There's a mass of inspiration and images on the Internet, particularly Pinterest Logo.svg but it's an insular existence, and actually you just end up with an overload of information. Reading something like the blog hen house makes me realise just how much I'm missing on my own doorstep, the woman is a whirlwind of activity, visiting fairs, joining workshops and finding new places of interest. It sometimes makes me tired just reading her blog. But how can she fail to produce something interesting when she's constantly feeding her mind with new exiting information. The difference is that she's interacting with other people, not plugged into the internet.    
.                       


Having left art college a long time ago, I think I'm not the only person to miss the creative environment and being surrounded by like minded people. But after reading the hen house blog you realise you've got to make an effort and get out there. So maybe we should all take a bit of inspiration from her, turn off the computer and go and see what's happening down the road...   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to visit and comment ♥
I don't open Anonymous comments as they are always spam!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...